Pick up a Change-of-Address Kit from the Post Office for:
Don't Forget To Transfer:
- Friends and family
- Banks - Investment firms
- Credit card companies
- Utilities, hydro, gas, phone company, cable, cellular phone, satellite, internet
- Insurance companies - life, home, auto
- Magazines and newspapers - cancel local newspaper delivery
- Motor Vehicles Branch: drivers license, vehicle and plate registrations.
- Motor club membership
- Doctors, Optometrist, dentists and other providers - transfer drug prescriptions
- Past employer - for tax slips
- Government agencies for taxes and direct deposits
- Child tax benefit, HST rebate
- Canada Pension Plan
Keep the following handy:
- Checking and Savings accounts, Safe Deposit Box
- Medical records
- Dental records
- School records
- Insurance coverage (life, health, fire, auto, and homeowners)
Important records and documents you should keep with you:
- First aid kit
- Prescription medicine
- Snacks, sandwiches, bottled water
- Coffee/electric coffeepot
- Baby food, diapers, favorite toys
- Pet food, treats, medication
- Telephone Book from old location
- Plastic plates, cups, utensils, can openers, paper towels, napkins, garbage bags
- Toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, toilet paper, contact lens case, solution, towels, hygiene products
- Flashlights, candles, matches, screwdrivers, tape measure, gloves, pliers, scissors, light bulbs, knife
- Enough clothing for a few days, sleeping bags, blankets
Questions to ask your moving company:
- Identification cards and drivers licenses, Vehicle titles
- Medical records and health insurance cards
- Check book and bank cards
- Insurance policies
- Birth Certificates and Passports, Military records
- School records for children
- Records for your pets
- Stock, bonds and other related items
- Mortgage records, Marriage license, Tax records
- any record or document that you think is important
Items Movers usually won't move:
- Does the moving company subcontract to other companies?
- Which subcontractors will be used?
- Will they use one truck?
- What expenses are not in the quote?*
- What training do the movers and packers have?
- Flammable items
- Combustible items
- Aerosol cans
- Hazardous materials
- Paints/Varnishes/Paint Thinners
- Cleaning Chemicals
- Ammunition and Explosives
- Get rid of the junk and things you don't really need. Why pay to move something you will throw out later? Donate it to charity.
- Make a list of the items you are moving. Take pictures or video for insurance reasons.
- Use banana boxes - they are the right size to stack properly and not too heavy.
- Mark breakables "Fargile - Handle with care." Pack with lots of newspaper for protection.
- Keep the things from each room grouped together. Remember first on - last off the truck.
- Keep your valuables and important papers with you and out of sight.
- Does your insurance cover you for the move?